Since the outbreak of Coronavirus there have been many prophecies and thoughts expressed about what is happening in the spiritual realm and what it means for the nations of the world. These include the following opinions:
- It is from the Enemy and we must come against it in prayer.
- The Church is being called to account – it is time to repent, wake up and stop teaching only what people want to hear at the expense of Biblical truth.
- We are in the End Times and this is a warning that we must be ready. Darker times are ahead.
- It is a judgement from God
- God is allowing it and using it as a means of bringing people to Him
- There is a huge spiritual harvest and revival on the way and the Church must be ready to disciple new converts.
While these varying messages can be confusing and even overwhelming there is no doubt that the world situation is frightening at many levels. I feel that there may be truth in all the above, but let us remember that all prophecy is in part. No-one, not even the most renowned prophets, has the complete picture of the future except God; not even Jesus knows the exact date of His return. The news and media focus only on what we see happening in the natural world, whereas prophesy is from the spiritual realm which the natural mind cannot understand.
So what should our attitude be?
- Stay close to the Lord and focus on Him
- Be mindful of prophecies but test them and do not make them into a doctrine.
- Hear and discern what God is calling you to do and focus on that wholeheartedly.
- Be aware of what is going on and what the Enemy is doing but don’t make it your focus.
- Do not live in fear but receive strength and peace from the Lord.
While thinking about this I had a ‘picture’ of a labyrinth, an underground maze of dark, twisting tunnels. It was as though I was walking along these dark, confusing tunnels with no idea of which direction I was heading in or how to get out. Yet, I was holding onto a golden thread which guided me along the right path, and at each turn or fork I would follow the direction of the thread. The thread was all I had to give me any hope of coming out into the light. This is a powerful analogy, I believe, of the darkness and confusion our world is currently in. but our faith and trust in God as revealed in His Word, the Bible, and a close relationship with Him, together create the ‘golden thread’ which leads us to safety.
Hold on to it tightly!
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with its surging…Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. (Psalm 46: 1-3; 10,11) NIV